"The respite support gave me a break from caring for my hubby. I didn't realize how much I needed some time away from my 'labor of love.' It's helped my energy and outlook. Thanks so much." -- Respite award recipient
Whether you live with a Parkinson's patient, or help a family member or friend with Parkinson’s often, you likely face some of the issues associated with "carepartners."
As a carepartner, your state of mind and overall health can impact your ability to provide the care your loved one needs, at the level you want to provide. It’s important to remember that you need to take care of yourself when taking care of someone with Parkinson’s disease, especially as they become more dependent on you.
In consideration for individuals devoted to caring for an individual with Parkinson's disease, PANC is pleased to be able to offer an annual quota of support subsidies to assist with the cost of outside caregiving fees. The program, supported solely by PANC donations, helps to subsidize the cost of caregivers provided by Del Oro and Redwood Caregiver Resource Centers (CRC).
Contact the PANC office via E-mailor call 916-357-6641 for additional information about this program.
Procedure for application and receipt of a Respite Care Subsidy
- Carepartners of PD patients may apply once per 12 month period for support.
- Applicants must provide a physician’s note stating the patient has PD.
- Applicant must be a care partner that is able to assist in meetings with the CRC and be authorized by the PD patient to discuss medical and psychological conditions, as well as physical functioning.
- Caregiver must be willing to participate in the CRC’s interview and support planning and be available to orient and train the respite caregivers as to the PD patient’s needs.
- Carepartner must not be receiving any public funding for caregiver services.
- Carepartner/the PD patient must be a resident of one of the counties served by the respective CRC: Del Oro: Alpine, Amador, Calaveras, Colusa, El Dorado, Nevada, Placer, Sacramento, San Joaquin, Sierra, Sutter, Yolo, or Yuba Passages: Butte, Colusa, Glenn, Lassen, Modoc, Plumas, Shasta, Siskiyou, Tehama or Trinity Redwood: Del Norte, Humboldt, Lake Mendocino, Napa, Sonoma, and Solano.
- Once the carepartner application is approved by PANC, the carepartner will receive documentation of approval for respite care. PANC will also notify the CRC of the approval.
- The CRC’s are the only sources for providing PANC respite services through this program.
- Once the careparnter receives PANC’s approval notice, the carepartner must contact the CRC directly to initiate the process.
- The CRC will establish the carepartner as a client of the CRC.
- As respite care resources are used, the CRC will bill PANC for payment.
- The Respite subsidy value should be used within six months of its approval and expires 12 months from the date of the award. Reapplication is available. See # 1
- Carepartners and PD patients should comply with the CRC’s requests for communication, coordination and cooperation.
"I didn't realize how badly I needed support -- I was too busy caring for my husband to care for myself. A respite is a necessity, not a luxury." -- PANC Respite subsidy recipient